Friday, September 19, 2008

More on modern literature and werewolves...

OK, so after reading the second book of the Twilight series, New Moon, I found that the description of why and how werewolves existed was even more interesting.

why: to kill off the "cold ones", aka vampires
how: ancestors of a certain Native American tribe on the west coast
Stephenie Meyer, in her fiction novel, I might add, describes the werewolves as massive, larger than bears, and able to change at the first sign of anger or defense. She describes the men capable of this change as large and burly, quick to anger, and very defensive. It's just so interesting to see a non-stereotype (for the most part). No howling at the moon, no hunch-backed, two-legged, awkward gangly things. These beasts are terrifying!!! I am looking forward to researching modern day fictional werewolves in comparison to ancient interpretations.

1 comment:

Mayalita said...

As you already know, I love the Twilight series and I'm fan of both Edward and Jacob. When I first read about Jacob being a werewolf and the description of them, I really found it interesting. I like how they aren't the typical size of the wolf but a bigger, extreme size of them. I never made the connection of the traditional werewolf being hot-tempered or hot-blooded while reading Twilight but now it all makes sense that Jacob would transform while being aggravated. It makes more sense now why Jacob has a high body temperature. I can't believe I didn't see that or make that connection earlier.
But on another note, I can't wait to see how the movie industry is going to make the werewolves look and how they are to transform. It's going to be very interesting to see what New Moon is going to be like.