Monday, November 3, 2008

Claudius and his usage of Laertes

I have to admit I am surprised by the way Claudius takes advantage of the rage Laertes is feeling in regards to his father's death. Throughout Act IV, I am taken aback time and time again at the rapid growth of the web of vengeance and anger. It began with the ghost seeking vengeance through Hamlet, who lashed out at Claudius with The Mousetrap, who in return became suspicious of Hamlet (especially when Hamlet killed Polonius) and thus utilizes the need for revenge in Laertes to his own kingly advantage. It is this endless web of unaddressed human emotion.

Act IV, Scene VII, lines 60-69

King : Will you be ruled by me?

Laertes: Ay, my lord, so you will not o'errule me to a peace.

King: To thine own peace. If he be now returned, as checking at (running away from) hs voyage, and that he means no more to undertake it, I will work him to an exploit now ripe in my device, under the which he shall not choose but fall; and for his death no wind of blame shall breath, but even his mother shall uncharge the practice (not charge the device with treachery) and call it accident.

Laertes: My lord, I will be ruled; the rather if you could devise it so that I might be the organ.

And just after this agreement is made and Laertes is very enthusiastic to follow through, more devastating news follows that Ophelia has died! And thus, more motivation for the murder. What is to come, I don't yet know, but I am extremely ready to finish it this evening. More posts soon...

No comments: